They Don’t Make Music Like That Any — nevermind

By cynsmith - Last updated: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - Save & Share - 9 Comments

The Pixies are doing a reunion album and tour

When I listen to my Death to the Pixies album, I inevitably think to myself “Man, they don’t do it like that anymore.” I don’t know if it’s because I listened to them at such an impressionable age or what – but when I listen to the Pixies now, I am reminded how much most of what’s out there today sucks.

So I’m happy they’re getting back together.

Posted in Entertainment • • Top Of Page

9 Responses to “They Don’t Make Music Like That Any — nevermind”

Comment from K-PHO
Time September 10, 2003 at 11:58 am

Awesome. Hopefully it will come together. I also have the same thoughts about the state of music today, but while listening to Trompe le Monde.

Time September 10, 2003 at 12:36 pm

You both should be wearing polyster pants hiked to your nips and complaining about the salisbury steak at Luby’s.

Great music abounds. You’ve heard me rave about Yoshimi. You both probably bought White Blood Cells. You may pretend “Is This It?” but you boogied to the Strokes as much as the Pixies. And if you want new stuff, I am thinking about giving Jet a try after hearing their rocking new single on the MTV and Madden 2004.

Comment from K-PHO
Time September 10, 2003 at 12:56 pm

Mmmmm … Luby’s.

Dude, I went to that rave about [url=kevin’s support of john’s opinion about Yoshimi posted on BPB somewheres]Yoshimi[/url]. However, you have to admit the aforementioned albums are the exception to the rule once you look at the statistic of # of discs released in the last 5 years vs. the ones that didn’t suck. Or something. Great music is out there, but hard to come by these days.

Time September 10, 2003 at 1:25 pm

I’ll let you know in five years if White Blood Cells still stacks up.

Time September 10, 2003 at 1:35 pm

Just remember: you made me do this.

Trompe Le Monde – 1991

Top 10 AOR (Album Oriented Radio) Tracks 1991

Top 10 Alternative 1991

How many of these albums do you still own? listen to?

Comment from Rick
Time September 10, 2003 at 3:07 pm

I still jam to the ‘Ryche.

Time September 10, 2003 at 3:47 pm

I would say tht The Black Crowes and REM have held up pretty well. What about the college charts for ’91?

Time September 10, 2003 at 3:54 pm

Alternative was the College Chart in ’91.

Comment from K-PHO
Time September 11, 2003 at 9:06 am

I agree on White Blood Cells. It’s really only about half great, half crap. Worth getting if only for “Fell In Love With a Girl.”

I still listen to 5 out of the 10 albums on the alternative list (BAD, Electronic, Siouxsie, Crowded House, and the still phenomenal La’s), but holy christ I wouldn’t touch that AOR list with a 10 ft. pole.

In any case, that list doesn’t really rebut my statement, which is that the vast majority of music being released is shite. You and I know that record companies set up most bands to fail by releasing hordes of music in the hopes of getting just one or two platinum artists that will pay the bills. The rest are just casualties, most of them plain awful to begin with. Maybe there were more indie record companies back in the day releasing killer music, I don’t know. Good music is still around, just harder to find is all.