A taste of their own medicine

By reeder - Last updated: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - Save & Share - 11 Comments

Instead of staying and fighting (and losing with honor), the mighty Dems ran to New Mexico to foil the evil Republican attemts to have (GASP!) a vote on an important issue. Turnabout is fair play – they messed with the rules and now they’ll get a taste of their own medicine. The Dems have to come back to work or face fines. I love it. I can’t decide if my favorite part of their response is the attempt to play the race card (“One by one, they stood up at a news conference to express their shock over the vote, which they called illegal and a return to the days of a segregated Texas. Only two of the Democrats-in-exile are white. All of the Senate Republicans are white.”) or the zen-like question – what is the sound of voting by not voting (“They’re charging us to vote for our constituents, and that’s the reason we left in the first place to vote for our constituents.”)

Posted in Politics • • Top Of Page

11 Responses to “A taste of their own medicine”

Time August 13, 2003 at 10:07 am

The vitriol on both sides is as harsh as battery acid. I shouldn’t be surprised by this move. The GOP has always thought the world revolved around money and that’s why they’ve never been able to understand the DNC (or any other party that loves things like nature or humanity.)

Comment from KellyMc
Time August 13, 2003 at 10:38 am

Well let’s not go giving too much credit to the DNC as an organization.

Time August 13, 2003 at 10:58 am

No, it was the other parties who love nature or humanity, not the DNC… The DNC was just incomprehensable, at least as I read it…

Time August 13, 2003 at 11:19 am

Yeah, I guess MT removed my sarcasm tags.

Time August 13, 2003 at 2:19 pm

They may also be in violation of campaign finance laws.

Democratic leaders have said the plane was donated by David Rogers, president of the First National Bank of Edinburg. However, online records kept by the Federal Aviation Administration show no planes in Rogers’ name, but two owned by the bank, The Associated Press confirmed.

Comment from K-PHO
Time August 13, 2003 at 3:41 pm

Sorry RR, I don’t believe it was a straight vote on an important issue in the first place. This was a carefully orchestrated Republican hostile redistricting takeover and desperate times required desperate measures. Your close personal friend Tom DeLay can fill you in on the specifics, I’m sure.

Comment from Rick
Time August 14, 2003 at 5:38 am

We learned from the masters – the Dems pulled the exact same stunt in each of the last three decades. Turnabout is still fair play.

Comment from Rick
Time August 14, 2003 at 5:40 am

Oh – and I’m glad you’ve joined us!!! :-)

Time August 14, 2003 at 8:07 am

I still haven’t seen any proof of that, double-R. Show the data or stop playing Rush.

Comment from Rick
Time August 14, 2003 at 9:03 am

I posted the link to the article in the Austin American Left-Wing-Fish-Wrapper… but that wasn’t good enough for you. I don’t have the energy after being here all night :-P

Time August 14, 2003 at 11:10 am

Yes, you posted an article that generically states “at some time something like this happened”. I’m just saying that you could be referencing something that happened at the turn of the century, or maybe the Democrats changed the rules because Republicans wouldn’t let a vote on stiffer penalties for DUI come to the floor. There is no context. I don’t believe it fits and I can’t find any data to support or refute it, so your point is irrelevant.